John, List:

JFS: I already answered these points.

I could say the same thing, but I will likewise give it another try.

JFS: Please look at the example in RLT. A line of identity by itself is a
complete, fully formed EG.

There is no line of identity in that one-of-a-kind EG. The line connecting
"is much to be wished" to the oval is lightly drawn, just like the oval
itself; and in the very next EG, there is no line at all connecting the
oval with "is false." At this point in the lecture, Peirce has not even
introduced the line of identity yet. When he subsequently does so, he calls
it "a heavy line" (RLT 153) and then consistently draws it accordingly.
Here are the relevant manuscript images so that you can see the difference
for yourself.

[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]

JFS: According to the way Peirce defined that notation and translated it to
English, he chose the word 'that' as the English word that represents that
construction (an oval with an attached line of identity).

Please look at the actual text of RLT 151. Again, Peirce himself does not
provide an English translation of that one-of-a-kind EG; and again, the
line attached to the oval is *lightly *drawn, not a *heavy *line of
identity. Why do you keep claiming otherwise?

JFS: I am not asking you to believe anything I say. But I am asking you to
look at the references I cited.

I am asking you to look carefully at Peirce's own texts, and to set aside
your preconceptions about what they say and show.

JFS: The postulates of geometry are asserted to be true of whatever version
of geometry they define.

Peirce explicitly states in R 514 that "in the margin outside the red line,
whatever is scribed is merely asserted to be possible. Thus, if the subject
were geometry, I could write in that margin the postulates, and any
pertinent problems stated in the form of postulates ..." Geometry falls
within pure mathematics, which is a strictly hypothetical science that
draws necessary conclusions about pure possibilities, as you yourself have
observed on multiple occasions.

JFS: All the evidence shows that L376 is the definition of Delta graphs. He
is clearly defining a new version of modal logic in the same document in
which he said that he needed to define a new version of modal logic. To
deny that he was defining Delta graphs just does not make any sense of what
he was writing.

Peirce never says or implies in R L376 (1911) or elsewhere that he needs
"to define a new version of modal logic." He simply states, "I shall now
have to add a *Delta* part in order to deal with modals," because he was
dissatisfied with his earlier attempts--first broken cuts in Gamma (1903),
then tinctures (1906). To claim that he was defining Delta graphs in the 19
manuscript pages that are extant goes far beyond anything that he actually
wrote on them. Perhaps he did go on to define Delta graphs in the
subsequent pages that are missing, but unless and until someone finds them,
we can only speculate.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt