Jon,

I am preparing slides for a Zoom talk on 2/28.  (I'll send the abstract and
link tomorrow.)  This is my last note on this thread until 2/29 or later.

JAS> Even in the printed book, the line attached to the first oval on page 151
is thinly drawn, exactly like the oval itself, while the lines of identity on
pages 153ff...

That's too bad for an elegant notation.  But it reinforces the point that
Peirce was using the same methods for representing metalanguage in 1898 as in
1911.   Metalanguage is the only feature required to define modality.   Please
read my brief summary about the IKRIS project in https://jfsowa.com/ikl .  You
don't have to believe anything I wrote.  There are many, many references on
that page to IKRIS reports written by other authors (almost all of whom have a
PhD in logic, computer science, or some other branch of science or philosophy).

JAS>  I suspect that you were reading back into his text what you had already
decided for yourself when you changed your mind regarding Carnap vs. Quine,
namely, that modal logic is "just metalanguage about logic." Peirce never
states nor implies this--not in R L376, and as far as I know, not anywhere else.

It's not something I decided for myself.  It's something I learned from
professional logicians from 1973 onwards.  Please read the references.  That
fact is not a debatable issue.  As for Peirce not realizing some of the issues,
he can't be blamed for not discovering methods that logicians adopted 60 years
after he died.

JAS> he anticipates the future formalization of modal logic when he states,
"The quantified subject of a hypothetical proposition is a possibility, or
possible case, or possible state of things" (CP 2.347, c. 1895). Even more
specifically, he anticipates C. I. Lewis's development and advocacy of strict
implication in... [see below]

The axioms Lewis states for modal logic are true for an open-ended variety of
modalities, including every version Peirce described in his tinctured graphs of
1906.   The fact that Peirce was thinking of such things in 1906 shows that he
had reasons for moving beyond the modal version of 1903 (which he never used
after 1903).

That sentence "The quantified subject of a hypothetical proposition is a
possibility, or possible case, or possible state of things" (CP 2.347, c.
1895)."  does not imply that the postulates in the margin of a sheet are inside
a negation.  It simply means that the postulates are true of a possible world
described in the nested statements on that sheet.  And there is no negation of
the nested statements.  The text in the margin is metalanguage asserted about
the nested text.

(Please excuse my use of a term that Peirce had not invented, but he frequently
used metalanguage when he talked about quotations by other people.  We are also
using metalanguage when we are talking about writings by Peirce, by ourselves,
or by each other.
And there are no implicit negations.  The only negations are explicit.)

And note that he never rejected the KINDS of modalities he described with the
tinctures of 1906. What he rejected is the complexity of the specifications in
that article.  With his notation of R514, he can state any kind of modality
with an appropriate choice of postulates in the margin of the sheet.

In fact, he could put postulates in the margin to say that the possible world
of "You are a good girl" is much to be wished.  He could even go back to the
medieval Modistae and put postulates in the margin that specify a world
described in Holy Scriptures.  Whether he might consider that world possible,
actual, necessary or impossible is independent of the fact that it was
described in Holy Scriptures.

The postulates in the margin of a paper may specify anything in any scientific
theory or anything described in  Alice in Wonderland.  The postulates on any
paper are not inside a negation because they are asserted to be true only of
the nested propositions in the part of the phemic sheet on that same paper.
Other parts of the phemic sheet on other papers may have very different
propositions in the margin.

I thank you for raising all those objections.  With the answers I have stated
(or minor variations thereof) plus the material in the many references about
metalanguage and modal logics from 1973 onward, I now have everything I need
for a solid article about what Peirce had written about his Delta graphs and
how they are related to the modal logics of the 21st C.

For any material I have not mentioned, please read the references.  As I keep
saying, you don't have to believe me.  Just read the references.  If you have
questions about how those references are related to what Peirce wrote, I'll
answer them.

From: "Jon Alan Schmidt" <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>

John, List:

JFS: I admit that I was looking at the printed book, Reasoning and the logic of
things. In that book, the transcription shows a clearly drawn line that
connects the oval to the word 'is'.

Even in the printed book, the line attached to the first oval on page 151 is
thinly drawn, exactly like the oval itself, while the lines of identity on
pages 153ff are unambiguously heavy; and again, there is no line attached to
the second oval on page 151. Here are those images.

[image.png]

[image.png]

[image.png]

JFS: But the two sentences enclosed in ovals are equivalent to what Peirce
proposed in R514: Draw a line around the proposition(s) about which the text
outside the oval is making assertions.

According to R 514, the text in the margin is not making assertions about the
propositions inside the red line, it consists of "postulates" that are "merely
asserted to be possible," i.e., the hypothetical antecedent from which those
propositions would follow necessarily as the consequent. This is a completely
different notation from the unique EGs on RLT 151, where the proposition
written inside the oval fills the blank in the rheme written outside the oval.

JFS: When I studied Peirce's L376 in detail, it was obvious that he was
thinking along the same lines.

I suspect that you were reading back into his text what you had already decided
for yourself when you changed your mind regarding Carnap vs. Quine, namely,
that modal logic is "just metalanguage about logic." Peirce never states nor
implies this--not in R L376, and as far as I know, not anywhere else. On the
contrary, he anticipates the future formalization of modal logic when he
states, "The quantified subject of a hypothetical proposition is a possibility,
or possible case, or possible state of things" (CP 2.347, c. 1895). Even more
specifically, he anticipates C. I. Lewis's development and advocacy of strict
implication in the following passage.

CSP: The consequence de inesse [material implication], "if A is true, then B is
true," is expressed by letting i denote the actual state of things, Ai mean
that in the actual state of things A is true, and Bi mean that in the actual
state of things B is true, and then saying "If Ai is true then Bi is true," or,
what is the same thing, "Either Ai is not true or Bi is true." But an ordinary
Philonian conditional [strict implication] is expressed by saying, "In any
possible state of things, i, either Ai is not true, or Bi is true." (CP 3.444,
1896)

Peirce might have changed his mind about this (like you did) sometime over the
next 15 years, but only an exact quotation to that effect from his later
writings could warrant such a claim. Can you provide one?

JFS: And his description of the phemic sheet as a collection of papers was in
line with the specification of papers in R514.

What "specification of papers in R 514"? Peirce says nothing in that text about
multiple sheets. If you are simply affirming that the "red pencil" operation of
R 514 could be applied to each of the "many pages" of R L376, then we agree
about that.

However, I now advocate shading the margin instead of marking its boundary with
a red line, consistent with Peirce's other writings about EGs in 1911 that you
have often emphasized. Again, it is a more iconic way of conveying that the
margin is a different surface from the interior--it "represents a universe of
possibility" (CP 4.579, 1906), while "the main part of the sheet represents
existence or actuality" (CP 4.577). In my updated candidate for Delta EGs as
outlined last night, there is a separate sheet for each possible state of
things (PST), with its law-graphs in the shaded margin and its fact-graphs in
the unshaded interior. After all, Goble refers to laws for a possible world as
"the fundamental postulates of that world"
(https://projecteuclid.org/journalArticle/Download?urlId=10.1305%2Fndjfl%2F1093890890,
 p. 153), and the fact-graphs on a PST sheet represent what would be
fact-propositions if that PST were actualized.

By the way, a few paragraphs before the "red pencil" discussion in R 514--the
fragmented 1909 manuscript itself, not the misfiled June 1911 letter to J. H.
Kehler with its EG tutorial (R L231)--Peirce states, "So much, to explain in
the second mode of clearness the three Modalities. The May be, The Actually is,
The Would be." In other words, he explicitly reaffirms his definition of
modality as possibility/actuality/necessity, although we do not have the
preceding pages that presumably provide more details.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt

On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 10:05 PM John F Sowa <s...@bestweb.net> wrote:
Jon,

I admit that I was looking at the printed book, Reasoning and the logic of
things.  In that book, the transcription shows a clearly drawn line that
connects the oval to the word 'is'.  That is an excellent notation.   I admit
that the MS copies below are ambiguous.  But the two sentences enclosed in
ovals are equivalent to what Peirce proposed in R514:  Draw a line around the
proposition(s) about which the text outside the oval is making assertions.

Nevertheless, those assertions outside the oval are examples of METALANGUAGE
about the proposition(s) inside the oval.   Although Tarski and Carnap
introduced that word and developed the theory and applications in some detail,
Peirce's writings as early as 1898 showed that he had anticipated some of the
issues, which he developed further in R514 and L376.

Later in the 20th c, Carnap wrote quite a bit about both modal logic and
metalanguage.  He had also become a close friend and colleague of Quine, and
they had years of correspondence about these issues.  Carnap was strongly in
favor of modal logic, but Quine said that modal logic was just metalanguage
about logic.

I admit that I had preferred Carnap's position to Quine's before the 1970s.
But a book of collected papers in 1973 had several papers on modal logic by
Dana Scott, Jakko Hintikka, and Michael Dunn which sold me on the new ways of
thinking about modal logic.  That led to the IKL work of 2005, which was
published in 2006.

When I studied Peirce's L376 in detail, it was obvious that he was thinking
along the same lines.  And his description of the phemic sheet as a collection
of papers was in line with the specification of papers in R514.  The IKL
project (2004-2006) and the applications for the larger IKRIS project were very
impressive.   And the topics Peirce was discussing in L376 were so close to the
topics we discussed that it almost seemed as if he had been a member of the
project.

I suggest the references in https://jfsowa.com/ikl .  You don't have to believe
anything I said.   Just browse through the documents about IKRIS and IKL.  That
project was funded from 2004 to 2006, and the reports were very impressive.
But Congress was in one of its wrangling moods about funding and threatened to
shut down everything.  And research is the first thing that gets cut.