John, List:

JFS: I appreciate your comments, even though they disagree with what I
believe Peirce intended. But I can see that I need to respond to the
questions you raise in the article I'm writing.

Likewise, I appreciate your responses and the ongoing dialogue. As I see
it, what we are discussing is not so much a matter of discerning what
Peirce intended as adhering carefully to what he actually wrote.

JAS: In the RLT example, what is written outside the "lightly drawn oval" *does
not* govern what is written inside the oval, at least not in the same
sense. After all, what is written outside the oval is not a *proposition *at
all ...

JFS: It most certainly is a proposition. Outside the oval, there is a line
of identity attached to a verb phrase "is much to be wished." That forms a
complete sentence "X is something to be wished." The other end of the line
is attached to the oval which contains the proposition that is to be wished.

Your response here *confirms *exactly what I said and *contradicts *your
first sentence. "X is something to be wished" is not a proposition, it is a
rheme. X is a variable, logically equivalent to a blank. The proposition
within the oval replaces X, i.e., fills the blank. By contrast, a postulate
is not a rheme, it is a complete proposition from which other propositions
follow necessarily. In Peirce's own words, "A *Postulate *would be a
proposition necessary as a premiss for a course of deductive reasoning and
predicating a contingent character of the hypothetical subject of that
course of reasoning; and any proposition of that description would be a
Postulate" (NEM 4:386, 1904).

JFS: To express the complete graph, Peirce introduced the word 'that' to
create the complete sentence "That you are a good girl is much to be
wished."

Actually, Peirce never introduces the word "that" and never states the
complete sentence, "That you are a good girl is much to be wished." This is
your own (correct) translation of his one-of-a-kind EG that comes right
after a single sentence introducing it in the text--"When we wish to assert
something about a proposition without asserting the proposition itself, we
will enclose it in a lightly drawn oval, which is supposed to fence it off
from the field of assertions" (RLT 151, 1898). He then presents another EG,
for "That you are a good girl is false," and goes on to state, "let it be
understood that if a proposition is merely fenced off from the field of
assertion without any assertion being explicitly made concerning it, this
shall be an elliptical way of saying that it is false" (RLT 152). This is
followed by the standard EG for negation, with "You are a good girl" inside
the oval and nothing outside it.

JFS: You could express the same point in the notation of R514. In the
margin, you write an EG that states "The proposition stated below is much
to be wished," Inside the content circled in red, you write "You are a good
girl."

In R 514, Peirce states that "in the margin outside the red line, whatever
is scribed is merely asserted to be possible. Thus, if the subject were
geometry, I could write in that margin the postulates, and any pertinent
problems stated in the form of postulates ..." Accordingly, the EG that you
describe here asserts that (a) "The proposition stated below is much to be
wished" is merely possible, and (b) "You are a good girl" follows
necessarily from "The proposition stated below is much to be wished."
Obviously, this is *not at all *logically equivalent to what the
one-of-a-kind EG in RLT asserts, namely, "That you are a good girl is much
to be wished."

Again, the notation of R 514 effectively turns the entire sheet into a
*conditional
*proposition, with its physical edges serving as a cut and the red line
serving as another cut nested within it. Any propositions in the margin
belong to the antecedent and are thus "merely asserted to be possible,"
such as the postulates of geometry, while any propositions inside the red
line belong to the consequent and are thus asserted to be true if the
antecedent is true, such as theorems deduced from the postulates. That
being the case, a further improvement would be *shading *the entire margin
instead of drawing a red line just inside it, iconically conveying that it
is a different surface--"as the main part of the sheet represents existence
or actuality, so the area within a cut ... represents a kind of
possibility" (CP 4.577, 1906). "It is a help to shade the oddly-enclosed
areas and omit the lines that represent the cuts" (R 670:[16], 1911 Jun 12).

JAS: the sole reason that Peirce expresses for needing to add a Delta part
to EGs is "in order to deal with modals," which for him are propositions
involving possibility and necessity.

JFS: Please do not make any assumptions about what Peirce did or did not
intend.

I am not the one making any such assumptions, I am simply drawing
reasonable interpretive conclusions based on exact quotations. Peirce
explicitly and repeatedly *defines *modal propositions as those involving
possibility and necessity, i.e., "proposition A is possibly true" and
"proposition B is necessarily (or certainly) true." As far as I know, he *never
*refers to propositions involving other expressions like "proposition C is
written in Holy Scriptures" or "proposition D is much to be wished" as
"modal." Can you provide any exact quotations where he does so?

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt