From: "Benjamin Udell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Peirce Discussion Forum" <peirce-l@lyris.ttu.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 12:59 PM
Subject: [peirce-l] Re: NEW ELEMENTS: So what is it all about?

Joe, list,

I had a thought about an topic from February 2006.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Ransdell"  To: "Peirce Discussion
Forum"
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 9:32 AM Subject: [peirce-l] Re: NEW
ELEMENTS: So what is it all about?

>>[Ben] Yet attributions, ascriptions, copulations, distributions, etc.,
>>etc., of predicates to subjects, or of accidents to substances, or of
>>qualities to reactions, all have a certain similarity and parallelism.
>>Then when we associate connotation in one way with firstness, quality, &
>>iconicity and, in another way, with thirdness,
>>meaning/implication/entailment, we get confused. Or at least I get
>>confused.

>[Joe] That is exactly the confusion that I was trying to express, Ben. ....

I've come to think that the mistake here is to associate connotation
generally with firstness, quality, & iconicity on account possibly mainly of
the prominence of the case of a descriptive predicate term, the case which
has been the focus of the "connotation x denotation = information"
discussions. If the connotation is, as Peirce says elsewhere, the meaning or
significance which gets formed into the interpretant, then we should
recognize -- as equally valid modes of connotation along with the connoting
of a quality -- symbolic designation of an object, and the symbolizing of a
representational relation. In a way, the real "odd man out" is _denotation._
Not that the conception of denotation isn't valid.

sign ------------ icon ------ resembling, portraying
|> interpretant - |> symbol - |> evoking, connoting
object ---------- index ----- pointing at, pointing to

The main difference between Peirce's account of connotation & the "everyday"
logical account, is that he at least sometimes equates connotation with
significance, significance presumably including implication, while the
everyday account, I think, tends to equate connotation with meaning in the
sense of _acceptation_ (and perhaps with a meaning arising in an "obvious"
way through a compounding of acceptations). For what it's worth, it also
seems to me that, if an evocation/connotation distinction is to be made, it
might be better made between that which is evoked information and that which
is evoked (soever informatively) as subject matter or as a given. Under this
account, icons and indices would generally not _connote_, though they easily
_evoke_.

Best, Ben

---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]