Dear Folks--

I looked up escatology (which I though is at least a remotely related notion) and entelechy in the Oxford Companion to Philosophy. I found the entry below for Entelechy. I think it adds a fun slant that is consistent with the picture you folks are painting. I especially like the "religious" teleological (from the Greek word for goal task completion or erfection -- also according to the Oxford Companion) movtives that I think are implicit in this notion.

BEGIN QUOTE:

entelechy. Hans Driesch (1867-1941) this century's leading neovitalist, was much impressed with his discovery that, despite extreme interferene in the early stages of embrological development, some organisms nevertheless develop into perfectly formed adults. In a thoroughly Aristotelian fashion, therefore, he became convinced that there is some life-element, transcending the purely material, controlling and promoting such development. Denying that this 'entelechy' is a force in the ususal sense, Driesch openly argued that it is end-directed. In his later writing, Driesch moved beyond his Greek influences, starting to sound more Hegelian, as he argued that ll life culminates ultimately in a 'supra personal whole'.

END QUOTE

the artical ends with a cross reference to vitalism which reminds me that Peirce was himself an investigator of spritualism.

Cheers,
Jim Piat