Joseph Ransdell wrote:
Here is a verifying passage:, from the neglected Argument paper

Peirce: CP 6.452
The word "God," so "capitalized" (as we Americans say), is the definable proper name, signifying Ens necessarium; in my belief Really creator of all three Universes of Experience. Some words shall herein be capitalized when used, not as vernacular, but as terms defined. Thus an "idea" is the substance of an actual unitary thought or fancy; but "Idea," nearer Plato's idea of {idea}, denotes anything whose Being consists in its mere capacity for getting fully represented, regardless of any person's faculty or impotence to represent it.

Joe Ransdell

Why not hit the "search" button again while you're at it?

Here are some texts where Peirce capitalizes words, to refer to ordinals:

CP 4.553
Convention the *Second;* Of the Matter of the Scripture, and the Modality P1 of the Phemes expressed.

CP 4.567
The more scientific way would be to substitute for the *Second* and *Third* Permissions the following Permission:

CP 6.472 The purpose of Deduction, that of collecting consequents of the hypothesis, having been sufficiently carried out, the inquiry
enters upon its *Third* Stage

CP 2.92 A Sign is anything which is related to* a Second thing*, its Object, in respect to a Quality, in such a way as to bring *a Third thing*, its Interpretant, into relation to the same Object, and that in such a way as to bring *a Fourth *into relation to that Object in the same form, ad infinitum.

I don't see how anyone who understands English can claim that "a Second thing", "a Third thing" or "a Fourth" do not refer to ordinals but to categories.

/JM