Bill and Gary,

Bill Bailey wrote:

This is not the venue for debating the similarities and contrasts between traditional Occident and Orient.

However, Gary's comment that he sees a close parallel to Peirce's ideal of scientific method (or of the motivation for it) in the bodhisattva ideal of Mahayana Buddhism" suggests that there may indeed be reasons for continuing this discussion here.

In any event, it has been a most interesting discussion so far with excellent points made by both of you. As it stands it feels to me to be something of a draw. So I hope you will both consider continuing your discussion here (you might try changing the Subject of the thread if you do).

Gary R.