Here is the abstract of the article.  Also, be sure to check out Richard Wilkenson's book.

Abstracts of Journal Articles

         Social Capital, Income Inequality,and Mortality
             I. Kawachi, B.P. Kennedy, K. Lochener, D. Prothrow-Stith
        American Journal of Public Health,Vol. 87. No. 9:1491-1498, September 1997

Objectives. Recent studies have demonstrated that income inequality is related to mortality rates. It was hypothesized, in
this study, that income inequality is related to reduction in social cohesion and that disinvestment in social capital is in turn
associated with increased mortality.

Methods. In this cross-sectional ecologic study based on data from 39 states, social capital was measured by weighted
and level of social trust, as gauged by the proportion of respondents in each state who believed that people could be
trusted. Age-standardized total and cause-specific mortality ram in 1990 were for each state.

Results. Income inequality was strongly correlated with both per capita group membership (r = -.46) and lack of social trust
(r = .76). In turn, both social trust and group membership were associated with total mortality, as well as rates of death from
coronary heart disease, malignant neoplasms, and infant mortality.

Conclusions. These data support the notion that income inequality leads to in mortality via disinvestment in social capital.

       Publications List: Ichiro Kawachi, M.D., Ph.D. and Bruce Kennedy, Ed.D.

Joel Blau wrote:

 Martin:

There is certainly material in the health & inequality literature. You might take a look at a look at several articles on the subject in The American Journal of Public Health, September 1997 (Vol 87.#9), especially the article by Ichiro Kawachi et al, on "Social Capital, Income Inequality, and Mortality."

Good luck.

Joel Blau

Martin Watts wrote:

If anyone has any references on the relationship between inequality and
'social dysfunction' in the USA (and Australia?), I would be most grateful.
Also the dynamic relationship between inequality and growth. I know the list
has touched on the latter before, but my filing system is not the best!
In case you haven't guessed, it is research grant application time here Down
Under!
Thanks in anticipation.
Martin Watts

--