Jerry writes:

>Look: you can't have it both ways: either value categories are important
>or they are not...

Jerry, this seems uncharacteristically dogmatic of you.  Aside from matters
of faith, the only way to gauge the "importance" of value categories is
according to their relevance in accounting for capitalist reality, which is
necessarily an ongoing process.  As you know I have my doubts about the
relevance of value theory, but my assessment of capitalism wouldn't change
one way or another if somehow these doubts were vanquished.  How about you?
If you somehow discovered tomorrow that capitalist reality was fundamentally
incongruent with underlying value trends, and had been for some time, would
your assessment of capitalism change as a result?

Gil