Duchesne:
>Now I think you're pushing the commodification thing too far. Why
>would capitalisn need extremely thin women?

I am afraid you don't understand my point. Chinese feudal society did not
'need' women with bound feet. We are talking about capitalist SOCIETY. The
way a society operates is not only determined by the cash nexus. It also
has to do with how tastes and prejudices are promoted by the mass media. A
century ago society had a different notion of how women should look. But in
either case we are dealing with white, rich men calling the shots. Exactly
the kind that set up and run the American Enterprise Institute.

>So far not in Latin
>America. My own view is that this problem is (partly) due to the
>fact that the gay men who control the fashion are not interested in
>real women but prefer them to look asexual or androgynous.

Homophobia.

Louis Proyect