Right, At Ohio State in the humanities, where I once taught, teachoing
didn't matter. They could use it as an excuse to zap you, but teaching
without research spelt death. Interestingly, the law school actually cared
about teaching, and had some of the best instruction I have ever had.
Kalamazoo College, where I taught before I went to OSU, cared only about
teaching, and probably evaluated that entirely on the basis of student
evaluations. Actually K also cared about collegiality, which makes sense in
a community of that size. The student-evalution based approach did tend to
encourage a bit of dumbing down and pointless showmanship,a s well as grade
inflation.

--jks (a former academic)