In 1979, fresh out of undergrad, I was plunked down in front of a class full
of University of Michigan students barely younger than I--in some cases
older--and told to teach them intro philosophy. I had no training or
preparation. I think they now have some seminars on that for new TAs. Ohio
State, where I was a professor, also had no training for its new TA's in
1989-94, my years there.