On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:48:02 -0500, Charles Brown wrote:
>Private property has the technical connotation of ownership of the social productive
>means that are necessary >to production in a society with an enormous division of
>labor or soicalization and specialization of the production >process. The fuller
>statement of the goal is abolition of private property in the basic means of
>production, for >which abolition of private property is shorthand.

I'm familiar with the shorthand, but, respectfully, I don't find it
meaningful. When you say "private property" has a technical meaning
concerning the means of production, we know what you mean, but most
people outside of pen-l don't.

As for owning one's own car, that's important. But what if you run a
small business and need a car to operate the business? Is that a means
of production, too? Can I own my own equipment if I work in a home
office? The old model is based on factories, but the typical workplace
is much more diverse. The old model has to be junked because it's
unworkable. Our main goal should be to curtail and abolish the
exploitation of labor. This can perhaps be accomplished with a series
of reforms.

We should attempt to prevent capital from dominanting labor. I don't
see how abolishing private property is necessarily tied to this goal.

Andrew Hagen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]