>Actually, Hegel's phrase is "Das Wahre ist das Ganze", meaning "the true is
>the whole".

There is no beginning in Hegel's philosophy. To grasp one part is to
grasp, by necessity, all of it. My German is too patchy to make sense
of the article without Babelfish. I'd have to agree, though, on the
Parmenidean influence in Hegel. Take this passage for example:

"And what need would have impelled it, later or earlier, to grow--if it
began from nothing? Thus, it must either altogether be or not be. . . .
For that reason Justice has not relaxed her fetters and let it come
into being or perish, but she holds it. Decision in these matters lies
in this: it is or it is not. But it *has* been decided, as is
necessary, to leave the one road unthought and unnamed (for it is not a
true road), and to take the other as being and being genuine. . . .
Hence, it is all continuous. . . . "

The writing style gives it away as the ancient Greek, but otherwise it
would pass for the crusty Teuton. (At least his precursor.) We're sent
on a journey from questions of existence to those of ethics, choice,
change, and ultimately, we return to the truth, or the whole, from
where we started. Between these moments, the human sciences spring up
only to splice together explanations for our conflicted world,
manufactured to soothe aching feet and sedate travelers. The wend of
the road forsook us. They never considered the battles fought along the
way, or that their physic was incompetent to redress the crimes
perpetrated upon the countless generations. Ironically, all in the
pursuit of wholeness.

Andrew Hagen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://clam.rutgers.edu/~ahagen/