This discussion with Mark, Doug, and Yoshi is very important, although it seems
to be going on different levels.  Mark is correct that in the not too distant
future, energy prices even though the short-term prices are susceptible to
manipulation.  Even so, I suspect that the monopolistic upward pressure on oil
prices does not compensate for the unpriced environmental damage.

I don't know what the biggest risk is for capitalism: Third World upheavals,
financial implosion, global warming, overcapacity, or resource constraints.  I
think it would be very useful to think about how these various forces relate to
each other.  For example, could resource constraints and overcapacity cancel one
another out?
--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department