I agree, Tom.

As for symbolism; well, the war of symbols is won and lost by PR consultants
and access to media. America holds all the aces there.  And murdered innocents
provide the joker.  Just as the murderers saw their terrified victims as
abstract symbols, so will the other side make symbols of them.  Big Finance
was the enemy of freedom and democracy until yesterday.  It is now undergoing
professional transubstantiation into the twin towers of freedom and democracy.
 To oppose Big Finance and its version of 'globalisation' now is to put
yourself on the side of the murderers.  I suspect this slaughter might just be
the worst thing that could have happened to the democratic resistance
movement, anyway ...

Seems to me this constant 'war' talk is a great force for social cohesion, too
- and, because the enemy is as perpetual as it is ill-defined, that public
support has the potential to last (in precisely the way his dad's did not).  I
also note that cohesion among core economies has consciously been nourished
from the off.  Europe is having a Day of Mourning on Friday, for instance (and
even insignificant but volubly supportive little Johnny Howard copped a
standing obvation in the House this morning).  Has this business taken the
edge off inter-bloc tensions?  Has it opened the way for a popular president
to assume war powers, with an eye to centralised political economic
coordination and perhaps even a military keynesian push in hard economic times?

And I wonder what Shrubya was getting at with that 'they think their harbours
are safe' flourish?

Cheers,
Rob.