Max's example of insurance is on the spot.  Originally, as I understand it,
insurance began with shipowners sharing risks among themselves.  In this
way, though individual shipwreck could destroy a prosperous shipowner.

With the great fire of London of 1666, early capitalist business took note
of the possibility of catastrophic risk.  Soon afterwards, William Petty
and some friends began developing actuarial tables that were were first
used in life insurance.  Fire insurance was regarded as a charitable
operation, meaning that it was not intended to make profit, but only to
help in case of disasters.

The Price Anderson Act represents another case in which society bears the
risk for private business.

While business risks are privatized, individuals remained vulnerable.  The
shredding of medical coverage is the case in point.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department