Fred brings up a very interesting question.  Market forces still exist,
but there is probably a direct correlation between the social and
political powers of any business and the degree of its need to respond
to market forces.

There was a famous American case in which Westinghouse had entered into
contracts for uranium.  The price shifted very unfavorably for
Westinghouse; they went to court and had the contract abrogated.  No
small company could have done anything comparable.

Large corporations, when they are in trouble, managed to get lucrative
government contracts.  I remember when General Dynamics was on the edge
of bankruptcy.  An Air Force contract saved them.  Again, political
influence, not acuity in following market signals.  Small companies do
not get such favors.

Bailouts for Lockheed, Chrysler.

Of course, those companies that do manage to play the market well will
prosper.

I would also add that he ever-widening scope intellectual of
intellectual property rights also limits the force of the market.

Fred's note should open up what I consider to be a very important topic
that I have never seen fully analyzed.  I would love to see more
exchanges about the subject here.

If you are to look at the archives for recent months, you would hardly
guess that this is a list supposedly for economists.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department