Rakesh, please don't try to classify others on the list. Let Jim speak for
himself as to whether he is a social democrat or not, if he chooses to do
so.

As to untangling causes, it is hard to say.  I recall that the CEO of Ford
wondered how the industry could deal with overcapacity -- this was some
time ago.  That insight could suggest that he forsaw underconsumption,
lower profits, this curtailing investment.

Ultimately, I believe, that Marx emphasized profits as the final arbiter,
but profits can be expected profits, not realized profits.  That makes
identification very difficult.

Fred's approach of looking at profits makes a great deal of sense when
looking at long swings, but in the short run -- as to what causes a
particular downturn -- identification is still a problem.
 --
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321