As Daniel suggests, my understanding of the problem of measuring the state
and growth of the "productive forces" is more in line with #2 below.

#1 is along the lines of a gedanken experiment: how well can someone produce
(fill in the blank with the name of some physical item) now, compared to a
hundred years ago? The problem with that experiment is that it's hard to do
in practice (which is what matters).

This is especially difficult if you consider that Daniel's gedanken
experiment might be saying that nowadays we are much more able to contribute
to global warming than we used to be. That is, external costs & benefits are
crucial even if we think about physical productivity.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine