I wrote:
> > More and more, I think of state bureaucrats and politicians under
capitalism
> > as a fraction of capital, similar to banking capital. ...

Carrol writes: > This would fit in with Wood's argument (in _Democracy
against Capitalism_) that capitalism artificially divided the political into
the two separate realms of "the political" and "the economy." If one takes
"politics" to be concerned with the allocation of human activity, then
"economics" is the guise that this political activity takes on under
capitalism. And in the latest stages of capitalism the line has become
thinner and thinner.<

I agree with her on this one. In fact, it's what I think of as the orthodox
Marxist position. Under feudalism and other pre-capitalist modes of
production (and post-capitalist ones like USSR-type systems), the state is
not separated from "the economy." The feudal lord is not only one's
political boss, but one's economic boss (and so-called "non-economic" means
are used to extort one's surplus-labor). With the rise of capitalism, we see
the separation out of a separate "state" sector which monopolizes the use of
violence (or gives license to individuals to use violence) and leaves the
"private" capitalists as being mostly non-violent in their methods.
JD