> >I'm not an expert, but I would summarize Smith's theory as the
> >good social effect resulting from narrow, self-seeking activity.
> >I defy anyone to find support for that among the old populists
> >or in Nader's movement.
> >

>Smith would not accept this characterization, as you perfectly well know.
>jks
>
>>Come again?  What vileness are you accusing me of now?

Mere error, nothing vile. You know that Smith had a very nuanced view of
self-seeking behavior, wrote a whole book, called Theory of the Moral
Sentiments, about how to be good, and even The Wealth of Nations, you find
sharp regular denunciations of greed and self-seeking that, apart from the
style, could have been written by Marx. jks