"But man has almost constant occasion for the help of his brethren, and it
is in vain for him to expect it from their benevolence only. He will be more
likely to prevail if he can interest their self-love in his favour, and show
them that it is for their own advantage to do for him what he requires of
them. Whoever offers to another a bargain of any kind, proposes to do this.
Give me that which I want, and you shall have this which you want, is the
meaning of every such offer; and it is in this manner that we obtain from
one another the far greater part of those good offices which we stand in
need of. It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the
baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own
interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their
self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their
advantages."

"By preferring the support of domestic to that of foreign industry, he
intends only his own security; and by directing that industry in such a
manner as its produce may be of the greatest value, he intends only his own
gain, and he is in this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to
promote an end which was no part of his intention. Nor is it always the
worse for the society that it was no part of it. By pursuing his own
interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than
when he really intends to promote it."