Ulhas Joglekar wrote:

>I am not sure Marxists have a coherent theory of contemporary Imperialism.
>Is Lenin's theory of imperialism relevant today?

There are theories of imperialism, not a coherent theory if by coherent
you mean unitary. The same is true of the national question, etc. In
fact, there were no "coherent" theories in Lenin's time either. There
were debates within Marxism with not only Luxemburg versus Lenin, but
Lenin versus Bukharin, etc.

Lenin did not have so much as a theory that was intended for the ages,
but an *analysis* that attempted to explain why WWI was breaking out.
Thus, his attention was focused on rivalries between advanced capitalist
nations. Monopolies, trusts, financial capital were key categories for him.

In more recent times, the emphasis has been on divisions between
advanced capitalist countries and so-called dependent countries. Some
Marxists like the late Bill Warren, and Spinoza-Marxists like
Hardt-Negri, believe that the advance of capitalism in the 3rd world
will lead to a kind of levelling of the playing field. Warren at least
tried to deploy economic data to support his theory; Hardt-Negri offer a
kind of gossamer rhetoric that amounts to Thomas Friedman mixed with
postmodernism.

--

Louis Proyect
www.marxmail.org