> >As I said, almost everyone. jks
>
>Almost everyone  is right; as far as I can tell, yer man Posner is not in
>favour of representative government or of "extensive civil rights and
>liberties" in as much as these can't be derived from property rights.

That's unfair to Posner. His notion of what a desirable set of rights would
be is less expansive than ours, but P is well within the range of
responsible non-authoritarian conservatism that counts as supporters of a
variant of liberalism. He has a new book on democracy in manuscript that he
gave me. Some of hsi views are set forth in his book on Bush v. Gore, if you
want to see what they are.

>What's your argument against his utopia of a small system of autarchic
>medieval Icelandic households living without any laws and arbitrating their
>disputes privately?

Just because he discusses this, reviewing Miller's book, doesn't mean it's
his utopia. In fact he notes that the system fell apartw ith increasing
inequality of the sort that he favors.

  I only ask because this particular version of
>libertarian society seems quite close to the aspirations of some of the
>Left.

Yes.

jks