Quoting Anders Schneiderman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Maybe I'm not reading carefully enough, but did you answered Doug's
> question about what your alternative would be?  You say what you
> would not advise them to do, but that's really not an answer.   I'm
> sure they could come up all by themselves lots of reasons why what
> their approach has serious problems, but if you can't tell them what
> they might do instead, they aren't any better off.
>
> Thanks,
> Anders

Well ...I did not interpret Doug’s question as asking me for a complete
alternative economic program.  Perhaps I was wrong in this
interpretation.  I thought he was posing a more modest question.  I had
said that export led growth was a strategy that we on the left should
not be endorsing, and to connect to my earlier posts, I was troubled by
the way that many on the left had joined in the celebration of China
which seems to be on the basis of its success as an export led economy.

I thought Doug was saying that since there were no simple or clear
alternatives why bother mounting such a major critique on export led
growth.  Related to that he asked what advice would you give workers or
policy makers.

In my answer I tried to suggest that the shift to export led growth was
ongoing.  There are real policies designed to promote this strategy
that are being proposed and implemented.  I gave the example of Korea.
But the same could be said of China and other countries.  I think these
policies are not good, even for the workers of the countries involved,
much less for the overall stability of the global system and the cause
of working class solidarity.  Thus, I would argue against those
policies designed to move economies ever more along the lines of export-
led growth.  In short, my advice would be not to move in that direction
and I would try and support that advice by showing the destructive
nature and short-lived gains from export-led growth.  So, my answer is
that there are things to say because we are not in a static situation.

As to a more positive position I already tried to offer a basic outline
of my thinking using the example of Cuba.  I think that the ideal
system of production is one that starts with popular needs and has
mechanisms for translating those needs into effective demand.  And at
the same time also has mechanisms for ensuring that the demand is
structured mobilize domestic resources, including workers, to produce
the goods and services that the population desires.

Right now popular needs are not being translated into effective demand
in most cases.  It is the middle and elite classes whose needs are
being promoted and demand satisfied.  And with each move to export led
growth that problem tends to become worse.  Moreover, in the case of
most export-led countries, the domestic production is not mobilized to
meet domestic demand, even of the elite, but rather global demand.
Thus there is not a self-generated process of growth that takes place.
Of course export led countries can grow for a time.  As their resources
are mobilized to meet foreign needs the country earns money which
allows the import of the goods and services the middle class and elites
want.  But one critical problem for this strategy is that the benefits
to this strategy are being greatly reduced as more and more countries
seek to enter the process and often compete for a position in the
transnational production network on the basis of labor and
environmental repression and exploitation.  Even UNCTAD has shown that
there is very little manufacturing value added being created in this
process.

So, how does one actualize the dynamic I promote.  As I mentioned
before, one must start with the resources and history of the country in
question.  In the case of Cuba I mentioned health care.  More
generally, one has to identify, as much as possible, poles of growth
based on the state of unfilled domestic needs and the resource
histories of the country in question (which includes the skills of the
population from past production and natural resources as well).  For
example, there are many ways to ensure health care or housing or
clothing.  A country would choose an approach that fits with its
history.

You then try to figure out what are effective ways in translating those
needs into demand.  And how to build as complete a domestically rooted
production chain as possible based on resource possibilities.  That way
as you are meeting basic needs with national resources you are
upgrading and innovating.

Obviously no country has the resources or skills to fully deliver all
the goods and services that people would demand.  So, a country has to
choose those that it can reasonably support.  And then using techniques
that involve credit controls and trade and investment controls it needs
to start channeling resources into those growth poles to built them
up.  In each case, say health care, it is unlikely that a country can
establish a fully functioning health care system without imports or
even foreign investment.  At the same time, the creating of such a
health care system should also generate new and more diverse exports.
Again health care is many things, from construction, to record keeping,
to doctor training, to medicines.  The more integrated and responsive
the system is to popular needs the more possibilities the country will
have to enter trade because more and more innovation and development
would have taken place within the country.

Doug noted that Cuba greatly benefited from Soviet support.  No doubt,
but that does not mean the process is wrong, just that it went faster
because of that support.

To be clear, this strategy does not mean that a country maintains all
production lines or produces all products.  In a way that is what the
Cubans tried to do by relying on soviet aid.  Rather, it means focusing
on those goods and services that have the greatest chance of completion
given domestic resources and also which have the greatest chance of
generating exports.  And these exports do not have to all go to
advanced capitalist countries.  And again to be clear, this strategy
does not mean dropping certain export activities if they can be used to
fund domestic activities.  But it does mean that the purpose and logic
of the strategy is not export oriented growth but rather growth that
while meeting basic popular needs also transforms the country in ways
that open up new opportunities for trade and exchange.  This model
obviously also becomes more likely to success as other countries adopt
similar policies based on their own historical conditions.

So, policies should be judged on the basis of whether they better help
to translate popular needs into effective demand and that demand into
effective domestic resource mobilization in satisfaction of those
demands.  This requires active use of trade and industrial policies.
The end result is an economy that will no doubt offer fewer choices to
the wealthy but more choices to working people.  The end result is also
an economy that will be actively participating in the international
arena, importing and exporting.  I cannot make this strategy more
specific unless we get into an actual discussion of a real country and
its choices.  And perhaps the level of generality in the discussion
above makes the entire strategy sound too utopian.  I hope not.  I do
not advance this strategy with the belief that it would somehow produce
rapid growth or that it would be easy.  But I think it offers some
criteria which if followed would be more likely to lead to an economy
that would be stable and response to working people.

I hope that is a more helpful answer.

Marty