--- Eubulides <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "No doubt, wherever the right of private property
> exists, there must and > will be inequalities of
fortune; and thus it > naturally happens that
> parties negotiating about a contract are not equally
> unhampered by > circumstances. This applies to all
contracts, and > not merely to that > between employer
and employee. Indeed, a little > reflection will show
that > wherever the right of private property and the
right > of free contract > coexist, each party when
contracting is inevitably > more or less influenced
> by the question whether he has much property, or
> little, or none; for the > contract is made to the
very end that each may gain > something that he
> needs or desires more urgently than that which he
> proposes to give in > exchange. And, since it is
self-evident that, unless > all things are held
> in common, some persons must have more property than
> others, it is from > the nature of things impossible
to uphold freedom of > contract and the
> right of private property without at the same time
> recognizing as > legitimate those inequalities of
fortune that are > the necessary result of
> the exercise of those rights.

By private/common property here, I assume the legal
eagles are not speaking of one's socks or home, but of
the tools of production and ownership of the Earth.
It seems perfectly possible to my mind for one person
to want to have five pairs of socks while the other is
not satisfied with less than ten pairs.  This does not
cause unequal fortune.  The cause of unequal fortune
is the legalized robbery found in the contract between
the employer and the employee.

Regards,
Mike B)

=====
What we found in examining diaries, letters,
autobiographies, pediatric and pedagogical
literature back to antiquity was that good parenting
appears to be something only historically
achieved, and that the further one goes back into
the past the more likely one would be to find
children killed, abandoned, beaten, terrorized
and sexually abused by adults. Indeed, it
soon appeared likely that a good mother,
one who was reasonably devoted to her child
and more or less able to empathize with and
fulfill its needs, was nowhere to be found prior
to modern times. It seemed to me that childhood
was one long nightmare
from which we have only gradually and only
recently begun to awaken.

LLOYD deMAUSE
"Psychohistory and Psychotherapy,"
Foundations of Psychohistory