joanna bujes wrote:

Mike Ballard quoted

What we found in examining diaries, letters,

autobiographies, pediatric and pedagogical
literature back to antiquity was that good parenting
appears to be something only historically
achieved, and that the further one goes back into
the past the more likely one would be to find
children killed, abandoned, beaten, terrorized
and sexually abused by adults. Indeed, it
soon appeared likely that a good mother,
one who was reasonably devoted to her child
and more or less able to empathize with and
fulfill its needs, was nowhere to be found prior
to modern times. It seemed to me that childhood
was one long nightmare
from which we have only gradually and only
recently begun to awaken.

LLOYD deMAUSE
"Psychohistory and Psychotherapy,"
Foundations of Psychohistory
1992

I don't believe this,
Joanna

Neither do I. My research into aboriginal society prior to the European invasion reveals a society which was very caring of their children and one very intolerant of sexual abuse of children.

Paul Phillips,
Economics,
University of Manitoba