From: "Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 06:40:53 -0700
Subject: Re: [PEN-L] capitalism = progressive?

Chris wrote: >Russian peasants in the quasi-feudal tsarist era would work intensively for the three months or so of the year when the ground was usuable for agriculture, and then sit around on their asses the rest of the year, in any case.<

I bet that during the 9 months off they spent a lot fo their time fixing equipment, making clothes, salting food, etc. Of course, it was at a much more leisurely pace than during the 3 months on.

Jim D.