Well, I think that is part of it. There is only so much you can get people to do by
yelling "davai!" ("come on!") at them. For the life of me I can't think of why the
Soviet government didn't start to increase wages in reaction to performance of the
employee. (There was the so-called ceiling that no employee could earn more than, and
wages were usually dependent on length of time that employee had been working, not on
performance.) Ideology, I guess.