Obviously, crude oil is a finite resource, in Mexico and the planet.
Current oil extraction and consumption rates, if extrapolated, must
exhaust the resource at some point in the future.  But this kind of
extrapolation is pointless, economically and politically.

Models predicting the end of oil are flawed, even if the geology
underpinning them is sound.  Historical rates of extraction and
consumption don't reflect technical geological possibilities alone.
They respond mainly to economic conditions.  Economic conditions
result from people's behavior and, in turn, shape such behavior.  As a
result, predicting future oil consumption rates is -- fundamentally --
self-referential.

In the jargon of economists, the mechanism that generates the
time-series data on extraction or consumption rates is not stationary.
With non-stationary systems, models can be consistent with historical
data but useless as predictive devices.  That's why I'm not impressed
with peak-oil models, even if they have been adequately back-tested or
calibrated to historical data.  The future is not a replica of the
past.

But even if we assumed stationarity in the economic conditions, there
is grounds for skepticism.  Markets are not necessarily wise; they are
just people buying and selling stuff.  Markets can only be as smart as
the people in them.  And we know from history how foolish people with
money at stake can be.  But markets have also proved to be adaptive.
And we know prices are based on expectations.  (Marx's theory of value
is based on expectations about the social labor-time requirements for
the production of a given commodity.)

So, one has to wonder: Why hasn't those theories persuaded big money
(which can buy the best available geological and economic expertise)
to hike the price to levels consistent with the peak-oil story?  In
the Dubai or NY mercantile exchanges, one can take positions on oil
for delivery in the spring of 2013.  Aside from having a margin
account, futures are free.  The premia of options with strikes near
current prices are cheap. What's keeping peak-oil theorists from
smarting up the market?  Or have they already, in which case the price
already reflect the probability that peak oil stories may be right?

Of course, one can flip the argument.  It may well be that big money
is acting stupid, something we'll only be able to see after the fact.
That is not implausible.  Also, people have only recently become more
active in dealing with the effects (and hopefully the causes) of
global warming.  So, only recently it has become likely that the large
external costs of oil consumption will start to get internalized ex
ante.  And perhaps markets haven't incorporated this information into
the prices yet.

But I really have no idea.  That's why I merely register my skepticism.

In the case of PEMEX, short of learning more about the geology of the
Gulf of Mexico, I'm convinced that the reasons why PEMEX extraction
rates are facing immediate limits are corruption, incompetence,
cronyism, and starve-the-beast policies.  People who know the inside
have been saying that, in PEMEX, prospection and maintenace (two basic
forms of investment in any extractive industry) have been neglected
for decades.  Corruption, "outsourcing," "duct leakages," and like
practices are rampant.  When predators of this kind can't just
appropriate public wealth, they allow it to go to waste.  It is in
their interest to weaken PEMEX.  The industrial layer sitting on top
of mere extraction, which adds value to crude oil and gas, is
decaying.  But the real prize for them is the resource underneath.
The industrial layer can be rebuilt with capital.  And the
availability of capital depends on the price of oil.