I had written:

Michael Perelman  wrote:
> Isn't rationality far more limited than you suggest?  Isn't it rational to
> cut down
> forests or to destroy the ocean if the present value of the expected benefits
> exceeds
> the present value of the expected costs?

it's a good practice to always use qualifying adjectives with abstract
nouns. After, "economic rationality" (cutting down forests if net
expected PV of benefits > 0) is quite different from psychological
mental health (an absence of conflicting inner forces?) or legal
rationality (sanity, seen as knowing the difference between right and
wrong).

now, economic rationality's net expected PV of benefits _might_
include the effects of caring about others (sometimes mislabeled
"altruism"). Even though the Ekon's seemingly-incessant focus on
atomistic markets seems to drive out any consideration of such
fellow-feeling, the standard neoclassical theorist's "economic
rationality" can incorporate it. Varian once did a paper on envy, for
example, which spawned an entire literature in the profession. This
shows, among other things, that caring about others can play a big
role in orthodox economics.

But the theory tends toward tautology. The main "demand" that economic
theorists put on their "rationality" is that _homo economicus_ be
consistent in its responses to price signals. The insistence on
consistency of behavior seems to be the only thing that keeps
tautology away.
--
Jim Devine / "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own
way and let people talk.) --  Karl, paraphrasing Dante.