I will continue to pick at nits here and suggest that there may be a
relative (and more importantly, uncertain) autonomy between everyday
rationality and formal rationality as Oaksford & Chater discuss in
Bayesian Rationality (2007). This limits but does not negate the
effectiveness of experimental modeling of economic actions where the
premise for rationality is strictly one of choice among/between payoffs,
especially in one-shot moments.

Ann

---------------

Re: PD simplified
From:
ken hanly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 19:30:42 -0700

Yes. It is assumed that each player knows the payoff
to each player for each of the four possible
combination of choices. It is also assumed that the
players are both rational in that they want to
minimize their time spent in jail. There is no need to
communicate with the other person.

There is no assumption of omniscience just knowledge
of the payoffs for each combination and that the other
person and you are both rational.

 Perhaps a short cut way of understanding the
reasoning for both to adopt the co-operation strategy
is this.
 Both are rational and the situation is symmetrical
so both will chose the same strategy. This means that
there are only two possible strategies that rational
players could choose: both defect or both co-operate.
But both defecting does not minimize the time of each
spent in jail whereas both co-operating does.
Therefore both will chose to co-operate.

Of course the traditionalists point out that two of
the possible combinations have been left out of the
reasoning. True enough but because both will choose
the same strategy, being rational, a different choice
by each is not really a possibility. In fact allowing
them as possibilities is what leads to the traditional
"irrational" solution.

Cheers, Ken Hanly

--- Jim Devine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

ken hanly wrote:

> >It is not that some definition of rational is

contradictory it is
that the traditional solution of the dilemma is not
rational according
to the standard definition because it does not lead
to the least time
served for the players. <

if you are an individualistic prisoner (thinking
only of your own
fate), if you don't have any information except the
offers that your
captors tell you about, and if you can't communicate
with the other
prisoner, how can you conceivably act to minimize
your time served?
are you assuming that the "players" know the game
matrix?

To say that the "traditional solution" is not
"rational" because it
"does not lead to the least time" seems to assume
that rationality
involves omniscience. It's "social rationality," but
most people don't
think -- or can't think -- in those terms.

Again, I bow before anyone's superior knowledge of
game theory.

> > The actual solution is rational. For some reason

that I dont fathom Hosfstadter wants to
distinguish rationality from super-rationality and
call the standard
solution rational but his super-rational.<

maybe "super-rationality" involves the
aforementioned omniscience?
--
Jim Devine / "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le
genti." (Go your own