On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 01:54:42PM +1000, Andrew Savige wrote:
> Running variants of:
>
> tar tzf perl-5.8.0.tar.gz | perl -lne'print if tr|-_./a-zA-Z0-9||c'
>
> suggests only [-_./a-zA-Z0-9] are valid characters in a path name.
>
> Then I noticed 'perldoc perlport' lists the portable filename
> characters as defined by ANSI C and various other restrictions.
> What is the length limit of each path name component?
> What is the length limit of file extensions? I heard YAML changed
> from .yaml to .yml, for instance, yet Perl itself has many files
> with long extensions -- runtime.porting, for example.

8.3 filesystems can handle long filenames, they just truncate them.
All that matters is that they don't truncate to the same thing, a common
problem with the perl*.pod man pages.

> It'd be nice to have a standard test for valid "portable" path names.
> Does such a test exist? I noticed Archive::Any has is_impolite() and
> is_naughty() but didn't see any checks for basic path name validity.
> BTW, is Archive::Any a "dead camel"?

Its just resting.

--
Michael G Schwern        [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
That you be hanged by the neck, but not until you are dead, but that you