On 1/28/06, Tels wrote:

> Of course you must reliaze that, except for pure-perl modules and very
> controlled environments, binary distributions are doomed to fail.
>
> You simple cannot guess what libraries/compiler/system/kernel the user
> has installed, unless you know the distribution and version *and* require
> that the user never updates anything.

This email, and the entire discussion that followed, was very Linux
centric. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for Windows this argument is a
non-issue, right? I mean, compile a module for Windows and it will
most likely work for all versions. Or at least the latest ones
(2000/XP).

Why not start off by providing ppm.cpan.org (as the OP suggested for
linux distors), or something similar? There are many modules that I
want to use where the PPM version provided by ActiveState or some
other repository is badly of out date..

I guess that many more people use Perl on Linux boxes, but there are
still uses for Perl on Windows... ;-)
It would be wonderful to be able to fully use CPAN on Windows, with
the same level of comfort that today's pre-packged PPM files already
provide.

Thanks,
--
Offer Kaye