Hi!

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 10:23:39AM +1000, Adam Kennedy wrote:

> >- has_example
>
> I thought we were generally negative on this one, because it would
> encourage people to spuriously add trivial example directories to their
> distributions...

Yes, but I've recently introduced the concept of 'optional' metrics.
Optional metrics are not used to calculate an authors rank in the CPANTS
game. Current optional metrics are 'is_prereq' and 'has_examples'.

This also makes it possible to get 110% kwalitee at the moment :-)

> As a secondary point, if we keep it you might also want to include
> /sample(s)/ and /demo(s)/.

Thanks, added

> >  - declares_dependencies
>
> It might be an interesting idea to also add a "dependencies_exist"
> metric, that makes sure that all the dependencies that are declared
> actually exist in the CPAN. Dunno, could be of dubiously little value,
> but I just managed to somehow upload something with bad deps that I had
> installed on my local machine, but that weren't all on CPAN yet...

It might also catch possible CPANTS bugs.

> >  - no_open_bugs
>
> If we are going to do this, we have to make sure that we DON'T include
> wishlist bugs in this metric, or it blows the validity all to hell.

I was thinking of something like 'no open bugs with severity > wishlist
(or even unimportant) and more than two weeks old'.

'Taken' bug reports are obviously also not counted.

> >  - Signature checking ?
>
> I looked into this a bit more recently, with all the Module::Signature
> changes. I think this is a bad idea.
> ..

I agree

> >  - has_rating ?
>
> Bad idea I think as well, because it will encourage spurious ratings.
> This is the same reason that ratings aren't factored into the
> search.cpan result order. CPAN Ratings currently has most of it's value
> because it doesn't matter much, and so it encourages high quality reviews.

I also do not really like this metirc, I just wrote it down because it
was suggested some time ago.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl                               http://domm.zsi.at