# from David Cantrell
# on Thursday 02 August 2007 02:54 am:

>Eric Wilhelm wrote:
>> # from David Cantrell
>>
>>> Skipping tests because you correctly identify that the optional
>>> module isn't available is, of course, counted as passing.
>> To test the pod, you must run the pod tests.
>
>Seeing that you obviously think I'm an idiot, there's probably not
> much point continuing.

No, I just want to be clear that the pod must get tested by the pod
tests and that "eval {require Test::Pod}" is the wrong trigger if
$ENV{PERL_AUTHOR_TESTING} is set.  The switch state implies that the
module is mandatory.

I (the author) don't want to accidentally skip the test due to a
missing/corrupt/old module (that is exactly why we're having problems
with the current t/pod.t invocation.)

If we're going to establish a recommendation for usage of
$PERL_AUTHOR_TESTING and/or an "author_t/" directory, it should behave
somewhat like 'use strict' in that it needs to actually run *all* of
the author tests (with very few exceptions.)

For such usage, extra dependencies would only be optional in extreme
cases.  Further, pod/pod-coverage would possibly even be 'assumed'
tests.  That is, why bother even having a .t file if the authortest
tool knows how to run testpod and testpodcoverage?

--Eric
--
Like a lot of people, I was mathematically abused as a child.
--Paul Graham