On 12 Jan 2008, at 01:32, Bryan Cantrill wrote:
So, Perl folks: if you can do it, a ustack helper is the way to go. It's brutal, but the payoff is substantial, as it will be much easier to connect
misbehaving Perl to the symptoms of that misbehavior elsewhere in the
system.  If you're interested in seeing a demo of this, check out John
Levon's blog on the Python ustack helper that he implemented:

 http://blogs.sun.com/levon/entry/python_and_dtrace_in_build

I read that Bryan. I got the impression - maybe incorrectly - that it relies on the Python interpreter recursing when it enters a Python function - so that a walk up the C stack visits all entries in the Python stack. Did I get that wrong?

Perl doesn't recurse in C when it calls a Perl subroutine so walking up the stack won't yield a Perl call chain.

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten