On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 06:23:14PM -0800, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:

>   I guess we are talking about two different kinds of generality here.
> What I have in mind is the generality that would allow DTrace to be
> able to offload some of the heavylifting to the userspace. I DO
> understand the ramifications of that and I know full well that pushing
> DTrace into userspace might be perceived as the deviation from the
> original design. To some extent it might even reduce the generality
> that you seem to be referring to.

The issue is not one of design, but of the constraints on the problem.
DTrace actions must be executed in probe context.  Heavy lifting can be
done via post-processing in userland (symbol translation, system()
actions, etc), but the data gathering must be done in arbitrary context.
How would you call arbitrary userspace code from, say, an interrupt
handler?

- Eric

--
Eric Schrock, FishWorks                        http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock