On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 06:12:57PM -0800, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
>   My main beef with stack helpers is that they have to be executed
> inside the kernel and are subject to the usual DTrace restrictions.
> I would like to see a possibility of offloading more work to user
> space in a generic fashion. For example, we have a libcollector.so
> facility that is capable of reconstructing stacks under the most
> challenging of situations (inside the function preamble, etc.) it is
> way more accurate in what it reports back than ustack() it is also
> capable of more stack unwinding than jstack(). Of course, it runs in
> user space.

All respect to libcollector.so, but the conditions under which DTrace must
gather a stack are far more constrained than those of a user-land program.
The DTrace code from probe context can't do I/O or block -- it can only
load and store. Even looping is a bit of a stretch.

Adam

--
Adam Leventhal, FishWorks                        http://blogs.sun.com/ahl