On Monday 30 June 2008 04:01:01 Salve J Nilsen wrote:

> If people are actually annoyed about getting in the "hall of shame", we
> shouldn't remove the hall, but instead give them useful info on how to get
> out of it. If authors add useless "workarounds" just to get on the top of
> the CPANTS game, we shouldn't remove the game, but instead find ways to make
> this tactic useless.

Let's try a thought experiment.  Suppose I manage a department of a thousand
programmers -- clearly too many to evaluate individually on a quarterly
basis, but still a fraction of the size of active CPAN contributors.

Suppose that I decide to measure the value of a programmer by the number of
lines of codes he adds to the project.  What's going to happen to the
codebase?

Oh, but clearly that's a bad metric.  Let's add another metric: number of bugs
fixed.

In about a month, the problems with that metric should be obvious too.  Let's
add another metric: all functions should have API-level documentation which
fits in a specific template including inputs, outputs, pre-conditions,
post-conditions, and revision histlry.

That helps the first metric, so it's a win, right?

At this point, quarterly reviews are coming soon, so let's add a final metric:
everyone who suggests a new metric which gets adopted gets a bonus on his or
her review.

Sure, the quality of the software has gone down, but at least now I can
*measure* the... well okay, the only thing I can measure is the willingness
of my thousand developers to mold their behavior to fit the metrics to keep
their jobs.

After two review cycles, even I should realize that this isn't working.  (I
like to think that I know a few things about software development
management.)  Inspiration strikes -- instead of the threat of losing their
jobs, I'll merely make a weekly list of the worst-performing employees, and
publish it the local newspaper where everyone in the company can see it,
without telling anyone that the list is there and without notifying anyone
that his or her name is suddenly on the list.

If public humiliation doesn't encourage people to write better code, I'm not
sure what kind of metric I can add that will.

That's because what you measure in software development determines the kind of
behavior you're going to get.  You have to be very careful only to measure
the kinds of things you want to promote.

(Please note that I'm not suggesting that CPANTS considers SLOC count a
measure of Kwalitee.)

-- c