On 1 Jul 2008, at 15:57, David Cantrell wrote:
That's true - but it discourages people from experimenting with new UI
ideas like, say, integrating tagging into s.c.o. It'd be great if
people could download WWW::Search::CPAN::Org, install it locally and
play with it.

Fair point.  Mind you, I distinctly remember a certain Mr. Armstrong
having fun with Greasemonkey to mess around with search.cpan.org a few
months ago ...

Well quite - but (in my head at least) that underlines my point - I hit a glass ceiling with what I could achieve with JS and then some other shiny thing caught my attention and... Had I been able to hack on the source for search.cpan.org I'd have probably done more.

I've twice started to work on a replacement just so I can release
something that people can actually hack on.

Might be worth taking a look at kobesearch.cpan.org, whose source is
available here:
 http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpan-search/

Tuits permitting I shall.