On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 02:42:55PM +0100, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> On 1 Jul 2008, at 14:35, David Cantrell wrote:
> >Even if you had the source code, it would still be up to him to add
> >your patch to the copy of the code that runs that particular site.  In
> >reality, if people suggest things, and he thinks they're a good idea,
> >then he does them.  Especially if it's something as simple as adding a
> >link to a page.
> That's true - but it discourages people from experimenting with new UI
> ideas like, say, integrating tagging into s.c.o. It'd be great if
> people could download WWW::Search::CPAN::Org, install it locally and
> play with it.

Fair point.  Mind you, I distinctly remember a certain Mr. Armstrong
having fun with Greasemonkey to mess around with search.cpan.org a few
months ago ...

> I've twice started to work on a replacement just so I can release
> something that people can actually hack on.

Might be worth taking a look at kobesearch.cpan.org, whose source is
available here:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpan-search/

 hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H. L. Mencken