# from chromatic
# on Monday 22 September 2008 17:37:

>> Yes.  Would someone please explain to me how this issue is not
>> already made a mostly non-issue by having a proper umask and running
>> CPAN as non-root?
>
>If I were so inclined and had access to your machine, I could do a lot
> of damage through such a mechanism without root access.

There would be no "mechanism" because tar respects the umask by default
when invoked as a non-root user.  Thus, there are no world-writable
files being unpacked from CPAN dists on my machine.

Is a umask of 022 not the default setup?  Shlomi?

--Eric
--
Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power
to make you commit injustices.