# from Shlomi Fish
# on Monday 22 September 2008 23:55:

>> There would be no "mechanism" because tar respects the umask by
>> default when invoked as a non-root user.  Thus, there are no
>> world-writable files being unpacked from CPAN dists on my machine.
>>
>> Is a umask of 022 not the default setup?  Shlomi?
>
>The default Mandriva umask appears to be 0002 . I have the following
> line in my default user's .bashrc:
>
>{{{
>umask 022
>}}}

So, how are those files being created with world-writable permissions?
You are running smokes as this user or as root?  You are using tar or
something else?

Even with the 0002 it would only set the group write bit.

--Eric
--
"Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value."
--Murphy's Constant