--- On Tue, 23/9/08, Shlomi Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The default Mandriva umask appears to be 0002 .

That surprised me, so I googled "default mandriva umask".  All the references I
found say the default umask is 0022 ... unless ...

Mandriva offers a tool to control security settings.  It's called "Msec":

  http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Msec
  http://is.gd/2Zzk

Msec offers 7 security levels.  Level 0 ("The user should not be allowed to own
a computer") is very insecure (not even a password), and Level 6 comes with its
own tinfoil hat.  As it turns out, those different security levels correspond
to different umasks, as detailed here:

  http://www.brunolinux.com/07-Security/Mandriva_Security_Settings.html
  http://is.gd/2Zzn

The only levels which provide a default umask of 0002 are levels 0 and 1, both
of which are *NOT* recommended, but if that's what you say your default is, I
can only wonder how, exactly, you managed to get your system in that state.
(In fact, distributions generally default to level 3, which has a default umask
of 0022.)

Of course, even as Eric pointed out, a umask of 0002  still masks the world
writeable permissions, so I still don't see how you're getting there and if
you've configured your system to give *you* a umask of 0022, then you still
shouldn't be getting the warnings you're getting.  I don't understand how this
arose, but I'd be curious to find out how.

Cheers,
Ovid
--
Buy the book         - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlhks/