# from David Golden
# on Tuesday 23 September 2008 12:42:

>> So, something needs to set $Archive::Tar::CHMOD = 1; to make it
>> behave like gnu tar.
>
>$Archive::Tar::CHMOD = 1 or 0?
>
>The default is 1.  From the Pod:

Yeah, sorry. 0.  It has a default which is opposite of gnu tar.

>If it's that easy, I can go patch CPAN.pm right away.

And CPANPLUS I guess.  I'm not sure what else happens in
Archive::Extract and whatever other code is involved, I've only dug
deep enough to determine that shlomi's problem is caused by something
other than gnu tar.

There is also still an issue using gnu tar if you run as root.

And are there other tar programs?

--Eric
--
"I've often gotten the feeling that the only people who have learned
from computer assisted instruction are the authors."