* Cosimo Streppone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-09-29 02:10]:
> but it seems that gnu tar doesn't like the following:
>
>   $ tar --mode=0755 cvf blah.tar somedir
>   $ tar c --mode=0755 vf blah.tar somedir
>
> and will only accept:
>
>   $ tar cvf blah.tar --mode=0755 somedir
>
> Could this work?

GNU tar will, however, accept this:

    tar cv --mode=0755 -f foo.tar bar/

BSD tar will also accept this placement of the `-f` flag,
according to the man page. Other tars may not, though I don’t
think that is very likely.

However, the `--mode` switch is a GNU curiosity. No other tar
that I checked does have it.

Honestly, though, if you are using tar on Windows, I don’t know
why you would want any other default. Patching EU::MM is the
pragmatic approach, and we probably can’t avoid it, but I think
it is the wrong place to fix this, still.

Regards,