På Tue, 30 Sep 2008 04:05:51 +0200, skrev Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:

[...]
The idea was to relieve Windows users from having to hack their tar before they
can use EU::MM to bake distros that the CPAN indexer will not
reject.

Allow me to clarify. I'm fine with putting in code to help Windows users deal with the world writable issue, that's the work around I was referring to.
[...]
I've kind of lost track of what's being proposed by whom.

Ok, Aristotle is right. The point of the patch I proposed was:

1) making sure no CPAN author (with a reasonably updated toolchain)
   will need to deal with the unexpected PAUSE indexing failure;

2) avoid hacking tar.(exe|bat) on Windows;

3) to break nothing.

Now I understand that my patch was crappy.
Probably the changes only need to live into `MM_Win32.pm'...

--
Cosimo