Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Cosimo Streppone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-09-29 02:10]:
>> but it seems that gnu tar doesn't like the following:
>>
>>   $ tar --mode=0755 cvf blah.tar somedir
>>   $ tar c --mode=0755 vf blah.tar somedir
>>
>> and will only accept:
>>
>>   $ tar cvf blah.tar --mode=0755 somedir
>>
>> Could this work?
>
> GNU tar will, however, accept this:
>
>     tar cv --mode=0755 -f foo.tar bar/

MakeMaker can set a minimum umask if it wants to play security nanny,
side-stepping the "what flags do my programs take" game.

> Honestly, though, if you are using tar on Windows, I don’t know
> why you would want any other default. Patching EU::MM is the
> pragmatic approach, and we probably can’t avoid it, but I think
> it is the wrong place to fix this, still.

I would tend to agree.  Rather than papering over the root problem (no umask)
in each utility, I would rather people were educated to set their umask.

--
164. There is no such thing as a were-virgin.
    -- The 213 Things Skippy Is No Longer Allowed To Do In The U.S. Army